BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Peace Sign

So, this is something that if you know me you know I am all about. PEACE. There are many symbols for peace. Like the Dove and Olive Branch, the Peace Sign, or the "V" symbol with your fingers.
Well, my cousin was wearing a ring with a Peace Sign on it and someone told her it was a broken cross. This is something I have heard before, so I looked it up. I know that anything can be percieved differently to different people, but I wanted to know the origin.
I went to www.wikipedia.com and found some information. The peace sign as we think of it was designed in 1958 by Gerald Holtom for the Campaign of Nuclear Disarmament. It is formed from the semaphoric (flag) signals for the letters N and D (for Nuclear Disarmament), then connecting it to make a circle. You can find more information at www.peacesign.com

Some interesting things I found out about today in history:
1994, Kurt Cobain was found dead at age 27. I remember this day. A boy I went to school with came to school with Kurt's picture around his neck on a homemade necklace. Strange the things we remember!
1974, Hank Aaron hit is 715th homerun.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history.do
Hope you enjoyed my first post!

3 comments:

Pixie said...

I knew today was important. I kept thinking it was a birthday. Nope... just KC's deathday. I remember EE's necklace too. What a maroon!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you clarified about the peace sign ring! When that comment was made about the broken cross, I was like huh? I had never heard that one before!

malia said...

I have heard it but it is not the origin! and now I know.